Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cute embroidered coffee cuff, and embroidery design thoughts

Wild Olive's Coffee Cuff

This is a very cute pattern/tutorial for a coffee cuff that I found today while wandering through blogs. I need to make some! I wish my yard of felt wasn't in Texas.

I've been watching Enterprise on the SciFi channel the last couple of days (I saw Star Trek - the new movie - Sunday, and have been on a major Star Trek kick since then) (of course, I wear my Starfleet Academy Class ring, which I got in Las Vegas ten years ago, every day, so it's not like it's a new ST obsession), and have been thinking how the astronomical charts they use in the background of the intro would make SUCH good embroidery designs! I think I'll google that and see if there are any public domain charts I can adapt to embroidery.

I've been thinking for years that I should try to adapt my sketches to embroidery patterns, and I finally did one today. I still need to clean it up a little, but then I'm going to start working on it on my sampler. Not sure how many people would want to buy two men walking into ice caves, but I had the idea that the flashlight beam on the ice would look cool with a lot of the sparkly or glow-in-the-dark threads out there, and the solid white, grey, and black areas (the two figures are silhouettes) are perfect targets for playing with stitches. Not sure WHAT stitches - I'm not that good at embroidery yet - but I'm going to play around. :-)

I have several sketchbooks in storage. I have two, I think, with me - I'm going to dig through them and see what I can find to adapt.

No comments: